My 3c worth of today''s nightmare

My comments:

I watched the WTC build up in early 70s while stationed on Governors
island,NYC (That triangular shaped island between Lower Manhattan and
Brooklyn you may have
seen on the numerous video shots of the
area) . I was just UP on the top deck of WTC a few months ago, enjoying
the view. Two of my best friends are with the NYPD. I WAS thinking of
going down to NYC to visit them this week, arriving this (Tuesday) PM
about 5 after a
9-hour drive down.  Instead I was asked to fill
in several day shifts this week here at the
SW Harbor Police Dept.

I heard about this (sorta) on the radio via WDEA-1370 at 9AM with CBS
radio news
at 9AM after Rick Foster, the local morning dj at WDEA signed off to ABC
Adult Standards birdfeed at 906AM.  I didn't hear it all and though I
heard something about a plane-crash..so I tuned in our little 13"- set
in the dispatch...and couldn't believe it.  I asked  my Chief of Police
to come in and check it out.....

The rest is obvious.  One of the quietest days in the history of the SW
Harbor Police Dept,as I figure everybody was home watching TV...I even
watched one Motor-Home pull into the parking lot out front, crank up
it's TV antenna and fire up its generator.

Locally, on Adelphia Cable The  Home-Shopping Network on Cable Channel 7
has been replaced with CBC Newsworld from Toronto...  and Cable Channel
11 WSBK UPN38 from Boston has been replaced with WBZ TV4Boston!!)

On the radio side...I tried tuning in the Canadian AMers. Best one was
CJLS-1340 Yarmouth NS, always a strong signal here...relaying CBS radio,
with the same feed as locally here on WDEA 1370.

The Learning Channel is continuing to relay BBC America.  Maine PBS was
on its usual kids schedule until 6 then over to Jim Lehrer.

Would love to see coverage from ABC Australia or TVNZ New Zealand or
Deutsche Welle Germany >>Maybe on CSPAN??.

As for National Coverage: I thought FoxNews was first of the  group,
with good coverage, NBC/Tom Brokaw also quite good. Dan Rather was his
usual Rather-idiotic self. (IMO) Stumbling and sputtering...not at all
professioanl..made me flip to ANY other channel...even ABC Peter Jennigs
a vast  improvement. Surprised to see so many relays/repeaters MTV with
CBS; TBS with CNN and ESPN1/2 with ABC.

Locally: WLBZ quite inconsisent in reports of US Customs at the
US/Canada border.One report says open next says closed as of 7PM
Very Confusing.
WABI TV5 much more professional with live coverage from Bangor Intl
Airport.

Just my opinion....your's respected and anticipated.

Rod O'Connor
Souhwest Harbor, Maine