Boston Coverage Of Attack

I first heard about the disaster whan I got in my car to
leave for work.  When I first tuned in, WBZ was carrying
WCBS live.  Unbelievable chaos.  Interruptions interrupted
by interruptions.  Jingles on top of people talking.
It was very difficult to concentrate.  Of course, the
events were unfolding as the newscasters were trying to
report, but it took almost an hour for them to get things
under control.

I think the prize for "stupidest question of the day" was
"Although we haven't had any official reports, do you
sense if there has been any significant injury or loss
of life?"  This after multiple reportings of people leaping
from the burning towers after two airplanes crashed.

After listening to WBZ for about 45 minutes, Jay McQuade
mentioned WBZ's "sister stations" WODS, WZLX, etc.  I scanned
around the dial - KISS108 was still doing music, Oldies 103.3
was simulcasting WBZ, but WBCN was carrying Howard Stern.  It
was strange to listen to them sitting around talking to each other
trying to convey the awful nature of what happened while somehow
appearing slightly aloof or "above it all".  They took calls
in spurts - short conversations or statements by listeners.
All in all it made me very uncomfortable.