Re: The World Champion Boston Red Sox!!!(was Re: College radiostreaming (was Re: XTRA)

On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Chuck Igo wrote:

>     every May, the resume package of the upcoming broadcast-major graduates
> would be distributed to all of the gm/pd's in Maine, and we, the
> need-a-breathing-human managers, would make calls.  if, and i say IF, one

Do they still do this? That is pretty cool of them to do anyway......

> out of seven were still interested in broadcasting, that would be a kind
> assessment.  most of the graduates seem to have fulfilled some deep-rooted
> desire and then decided that investment banking was a better career choice.
> who knew that they were right? ;-)

Now many of them who decided that they don't want to do broadcasting will
go on to the NESCom 4-tyear or the 2+2 program and get a 4-yuear
bachelor's from Husson.......

>    i know that many broadcasters teach this profession as a part-time thing.
> i often hear that what they would LIKE to teach and what they are SUPPOSED
> to teach are not the same critter; the inference being that the curriculum
> is for an "ideal" situation as opposed to a real one.

The way I was taught is this- the radio business is a tough business. #1-
you need to love with it, and keep striving to be a better radio
personality #2- it is very corperate, and if you don't have any job in the
biz and you get a 2 hour a week job voicetracking, take it. If you keep at
it, then something better might come up. #3- there is no job security- if
you have a career in radio, be prepared to expirience being fired at
least once or more in your life #4 don't expect good pay, and expect to
work two jobs for awhile until you get a full time gig going and #5- have
some patience waiting for that full time thing to happen, and never stop
looking for something better

I think I understand all of these points really well. Here speaking is
Mr. Jeremy Ryan Mixer, you may have heard him doing the overnights on
Friday, Saturday, or Sunday nights live at WKIT in Bangor Maine. Or you
may have had him visit your house and deliver the pizza that you ordered
from pizza hut.....yes folks, I also am a pizza delivery guy. And my good
buddy and ex-roomate Cooper Fox (who acts like that really is his name,
unlike me who was born with my name) works at EnvisionNet (or whatever
they are called now). Most radio part timers I know do something else full
time and stick with the radio stuff because they love it. I know I do, I
ahve frustrating weekends sometimes......but the next weekend is always
betteer.....