Re: XETRA

Well, I remember the XETRA legal from _many_ years earlier (1951) in the
station's beautiful music days (if I recall, the positioner was "beautiful
music over Los Angeles). A sultry female voice with no attempt to cover the
ID would say: "Echay ae tae eray ahh, Teewhana, Baha Caleeforrnya."

I also recall seeing a coverage map of the US portion of XeTRA's coverage
area. In those days, XeTRA ran 50 kW-U and I don't know whether it was DA-1
or DA-2. Current facilities are 77 kW-D/50 kW-N DA-2 and I'm pretty sure
that the new COL is Plaja Rosarita (which, as far as I know, has always been
the COL of XERB/XePRS 1090 <don't know current calls>). Isn't Rosarita Beach
further from the US border than Tijuana is? I have the impression that the
old 50-kW-U pattern(s?) favored the US more than the new ones do. The new
patterns very definitely put the main lobe over Mexico and the signals
toward the US, while still substantial, are also subtantially weaker than
the signal to the southeast.

Anyhow, in the 50s, XeTRA claimed to put a 25 mV/m signal into downtown LA.
The signal was still 25 mV/m at the water's edge quite a few miles north of
LA and was at least 2.5 mV/m over the entire LA metro, which didn't reach as
far inland back then as it does now. Interference to the 710 station in LA
(then KMPC, now KDIS--I believe) was very substantial. The LA 710 runs 50
kW-D/10 kW-N DA-N into quarter-wave towers at a site in the San Fernando
Valley north of LA. The night pattern protects KIRO and WOR.

XERB 1090 has a classic three-tower broadside figure eight pattern at night,
with the null aimed right at Baltimore (and hence also at Little Rock, which
is half way to Baltimore on a line between Tijuana and Baltimore). XERB is
ND days for reasons I can only guess at. At night, the radiation maxima are
90 degrees from the nulls and lie pretty much right along the coast. If the
station used a detuned variant of its night pattern during the day it would
waste subtantially less of its signal over the ocean and would put a
significantly stronger signal into LA, undoubtedly driving CBS/Infinity
totally wild because of the increase in normally prohibited daytime overlap
with KNX. The broadside nature of the array would also enable tailoring of
the coverage inland to more-or-less match the current ND day coverage along
the line of the nighttime null to the east-northeast.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205, eFax 707-215-6367