Re: the demise of WEVD

>Norm wrote--
>the original calls for 1050AM in NY were WHN. [snip] WEVD used to actually
>be the calls for 97.9 which is now WSKQ.

Long before there was FM, there was WEVD, which was at 1300 kHz in 1929,
according to some Federal Radio Commission station lists I have.  (WEVD
went on the air in 1927.)  As for WHN, it was living at 1010 kHz in 1929,
and there it remained throughout the 1930s.   WHN may have moved to 1050
because of the NARBA rulings in 1941-- NARBA moved nearly everybody-- the
newspapers had big ads about "radio moving day."   But in the 20s and 30s,
WEVD and WHN were stayed where the FRC put them.  In the early 50s, as Norm
said, WMGM (the former WHN) was indeed at 1050.  WEVD meanwhile had moved
off of 1300 in the 40s, and was now at 1330, with the same owners as before.