WCAP

I'm reminded by my good friend and former WCAP colleague, Chuck Jenest
(ULowell Chiefs PBP and music jock), that we almost forgot once radio
NEWS reporter, Darlene McCarthy.  Darlene was the evening news anchor
(7-mid) during the time that I was evening jock. From there, she
headed north to initialize her TV news career, then, as we know,
returned to Boston for Channel 56, then 7, and finally as a talker, at
WRKO.  I must say, she was real swell to work with (genuinely funny.)

Other former Northeast Radio, Inc names include Gary Greene (sports
after Ed Coleman left, I think) & John Ware (sports and my first
quasi-sidekick as a talker. He was there as we made the transition
from music to talk in '89).  Chuck reminds me there was "William J.
Naughton" in AM drive for a brief run.  After Chuck Morgon.
Apparantly his name was so long, there was a trainwreck in fitting in
the inventory and....  Gordon MacAdams (now production somewhere in
Boston) was a really funny and talented morning host for a run and MD
(straight to the big chair from Sunday evenings).  I still recall his
meticulously labeled carts, sfx, music logs, etc.

There was this guy named Paul on overnight news who, sadly, yet
briefly, couldn't fathom why, when reading weather, you wouldn't pot
up weather, then sports? Pot up sports, then....    There was this
woman named Shelly (?) who was fast down the fireman's pole to Cappy's
when she pronounced "Raytheon" as "Ray-a-thon."

All of this remains in our collective memories because a guy named Joe
Corcoran (OM)gave us a shot nearly 20 years ago back when the station
softball team had enough staff for a second string!

Bill O'Neill