Re: Manchester, NH 7-5-0 AM Coming to a radio dial near you?

On Thursday, August 30, 2001, at 02:17  PM, Dave Faneuf wrote:

> That can be said of any market in this area,  when I first started out
> in
> news I was part of an 8 person news team at WLLH, WCAP (our cross town
> rivals) had at least 5 or 6 news people (even though they were only a
> daytimer back then).  You can look at Boston as another example of radio
> news that is only a shell of what it once was as well.  I suppose
> someone
> on this list can look back at Worcester and Manchester as well and draw
> the same conclusion.

I sure can.  When I worked at WFTQ in Worcester, we had a staff of 4-6
fulltimers producing local newscasts 14 hours a day.  This was in the
mid-80's.  WTAG's news staff was at least as big, and they had local
news until midnight.  It helped make both stations competitive in the
ratings long after many small-signal AM's had faded away.  Now, I
believe the entire on-air staff of WTAG is smaller than their news
department was at that time, and WFTQ's successor at 1440AM may have one
employee, but maybe not.

Mark Laurence
mlaurence@mindspring.com