From: owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
[mailto:owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org]On Behalf Of Rod
O'Connor
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2001 9:31 AM
To: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Subject: RE: GE SuperRadios

The GE SuperRadio-III is usually available at the Reny's Department
stores scattered around Maine.

Note that most of the radios are "refurbished", (as in
factory-serviced). But for the price you probably can't go wrong. I
bought one last summer to replace my 17-year-old GE SuperRadio-I. It was
on sale for $29.95.
But, take note that the new SuperRadio-IIIs
are notorious to us DXers for widely varying quality-control.. Some work
like charms, others are lemons. The refurbished one I got works well,
although the AM tuning dial was 30khz off, and I had to pull it apart
and re-calibrate and adjust the tuning capacitor..a real pain.

I will NOT recommend the SuperRadios for FM DX. Selectivity is
atrocious, and the FM antenna is quite flimsy. Connecting an external FM
antenna will result in severe overload.

On a side-by-side comparison my Original GE SR-I  is slightly more
sensitive than the SR-III and much more solidly built. On the other hand
the SR3 has a wide/normal band range switch and does have a fuller
richer sound for music.

On a related note..Has anybody tried the Bose WaveRadios for DX? My
folks have one, and when over at their place in NH last week I was
surprised at how sensitive it was on AM. The FM also  sounds great...but
then for $349 it should.

Rod O'Connor
Southwest Harbor, Maine