RE: GE SuperRadios

My SR III must be at least five years old. It was one of
the early SR IIIs. I guess I was lucky; although the
dial calibration (on AM especially) is bad and the there
are birdies at a couple of spots on the AM band (the
worst is around 890--probably the second harmonic of the
IF--which is supposed to be at 900), I wouldn't call the
FM selecticity atrocious. OTOH, I wouldn't call it great
either.

However, my unit suffers from a defect that apparently
was corrected in later production. Selecting the
wideband mode for AM makes the radio all but useless.
WRKO probably delivers the strongest signal where I live
(WAMG is the closest AM and WWZN, which is also close
by, also delivers a very strong signal during the day).
If I select the wideband mode, everything below 850
except WRKO pretty much disappears. I've noted similar
effects near all of the strong AM signals, so I don't
use the wideband mode. I've been told that newer samples
don't work like this and the Radio Shack "equivalent,"
which I tired out in a store seemed to behave more as I
would have expected in the wideband mode, though the RS
unit did not seem nearly as sensitive as my SR III.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205