From: dan.strassberg@att.net [mailto:dan.strassberg@att.net]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 10:55 AM
To: adamrivers@prodigy.net
Cc: Adam Rivers; boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Subject: Re: Radio DXing question

Are you talking AM or FM? Amplified antennas on either
band can be problematic because, after amplification,
the stronger signals (from stations you _don't_ want)
can saturate the front end of your radio and make for
worse, rather then better, weak-signal reception. Where
I live (Arlington Heights) several Providence-area FMs
(92.3, 93.3, 98.1--New Bedford, 101.1, 105.1) come in
quite well on relatively ordinary FM radios with nothing
but the standard-equipment whip antenna.

For AM, I'd say buy a GE SuperRadio III. They are hard
to find in stores but I think available on the Web if
you persevere. For about the same price, you can buy a
Select-A-Tenna passive loop, which will make a garden-
variety AM radio about as sensitive as a SuperRadio. But
I have had very little luck improving the SuperRadio
with the Select-A-Tenna.

The reason the passive loop does not cause saturation of
the AM radio's front end is that the passive loop is
frequency selective; you have to tune both the loop and
the radio. Passive loops do not use power supplies and
they couple magnetically to the ferrite loop in the
radio, so you don't have to attach any wires anywhere.

But the Select-A-Tenna is large (maybe 10-in. D by 3-in.
thick) and rather unsightly. One somewhat neat feature
is that instead of rotating the radio for best
reception, you can often rotate just the passive loop.
If the loop were smaller than the radio (which is isn't)
the advantage would be more significant, however.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205