Re: WCVT - WCRB (was: Heat Wave Triggers ...)

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Bill O'Neill wrote:

> I have a technical question for WCRB.  I know that WCRB voices much of
> the clock at WCVT (101.7 Stowe, 43 2654')  (I can catch it fairly well
> across the Greens in Champlain Valley.)  How much of the programming
> is tracked and how much of it are local voices?

They have their own morning show weekdays; I think it's live but don't
know for certain. They also do their own programming in certain weekedn
dayparts; see <URL:http://www.wcvtradio.com>.

The programing they get from us is all voice-tracked; it is the same
World Classical Network feed we send to WFCC and WCRI, among others.

> As to music mix, is it fairly similar or modified, somewhat, to meet a
> different market?

The Network playlist is essentially the same as WCRB's, but it includes
about 200 pieces WCRB doesn't play. The Network feed was designed for
simultaneous airing on multiple stations, so it includes "optional"
commercial breaks, holes for local announcements, and the like. It is much
more carefully timed than WCRB; each hour of programming is supposed to
time out such that legal ID's will run at the top of the following hour.

The Network exists because several stations across the country asked if we
would sell them WCRB programming. They did not ask for custom formats, but
for essentially the Boston format. So far the format has done best in the
Cape Cod market, consistently getting a larger share of the Cape audience
than WCRB gets of Boston listeners. At one point it was tied for number
one in the market.

Not bad for "dumbed-down" "pseudo-classical", wouldn't you say?

See <URL:http://www.theclassicalstation.net> for more.

Rob Landry
umar@nerodia.wcrb.com