Re: Bill whining (was CNN anchor endorses satellite over cable)

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:16:05 -0400 "Dan Billings" <dib9@gwi.net> writes:
> No, but Bill's post implied that it was a bad thing that people
> across the
> country now have access to show's by people that used to only be
> heard in
> one market.  I like Imus and Rush and am glad that I don't have to
> live in
> New York to hear their shows on a daily basis.

Streaming audio can take care of that.

Bill's post seem to
> be
> indicating that local was good, national was bad.  I don't care if
> the guy
> that I am listening to shops in the same stores that I do.  I care
> about the
> show being enjoyable to listen to.

Actually I tend to side more with Bill on this one.  I'm not saying
national is bad however people (a general statement) lament the decline
of involvement in community (you can read that politics or anything else)
and ONE reason is the decline (and in some cases the elimination) of
local media.  In every market that Imus and Rush are in (just to pick on
them but there are others) it means there is nothing local on the air, no
local issues being discussed, nothing to generate local interest in the
community.  As anecdotal evidence I was vacationing in Maine a few years
ago and heard lots of sirens.  I headed back to the cottage and flipped
on the radio....up and down the AM dial there was nothing but
syndication, even at the top of the hour just network news.  When you
condition listeners that they are no longer going to get local
information when they want it then you get the homogenized syndicated
radio that we are seeing today.

df