Re: Impressive Broadcast Tower Sites

And, in fact, with 5 kW days on 570 they _should_ have a
dynamite signal, but they don't. I have a friend in the
DC area--another radio geek, and he says that the poor
signal is legendary among DC-area radio afficionados.

Apparently, the TX was moved 20-some years ago because
of a land-taking at the original site and the new DA
design was problematic from the get-go. There may be
only two towers illuminated, but I believe that there
are either four or five towers altogether. It took years-
-and waivers--to get a license to cover and the array
(at least the 1-kW night pattern) is allegedly marginal
at best and unstable besides. My friend tells me that if
you search the Web long enough and assiduously enough
you can find a string of postings about the problems
with the array.

I thought I had seen that, within the last year, the
station was granted a CP for higher night power (2.2 kW
if I recall correctly) but I have not been able to find
a record of the CP at the FCC Web site. So, I suspect
that someone in engineering at Clear Channel would
probably like to dynamite the array because of the less
than dynamite signal.