Re: WBZ reception is worsening

WABC has a backup site at the new WINS digs. Because WABC is ND-U, this
_could_ be a full-power site, though I don't know whether it is. Even with
50 kW, it would not have the same RMS field as that from WABC's own
half-wave tower in Lodi because the new WINS towers are only 400' (somewhat
more than 1/4 wave at 770). However, because the WINS site is closer to New
York City than WABC's main site in Lodi, a 50-kW signal from the WINS site
could be just as good within the five boroughs as the signal from WABC's
main TX.

WABC used to have a 10-kW backup and what looked like a 1/4-wave auxiliary
antenna at the Lodi site. I saw the WABC site only once. It was more than 50
years ago and from quite a distance, but I recall that the auxilliary
antenna _looked_ as if it consisted of wires hanging from a guy-supported
wooden tower. My guess is that that tower is gone now. It may have been gone
long before the auxiliary at the WINS site was commissioned, I believe that
while WINS was replacing its old array, it ran 10 kW-ND-U from the WABC
site. I don't know whether that signal was diplexed into WABC's main tower
or came from a different tower (the wooden one???).

Anyhow, I assume that WINS is maintaning its auxiliary facilities at the
WABC site, although now that WINS, WFAN, and WCBS are commonly owned, I'm
sure that Mel would move WINS's auxilliary to City Island if it could save
him enough $$$. I can imagine that paying rent to Disney would stick in
Karmazin's craw. But rent may not be involved; there may be a reciprocal
arrangment between WABC and WINS in which no rent payments change hands.
WFAN and WCBS maintain 10 kW auxiliaries with a separate shared tower at the
City Island site. That tower was added after a plane taking off from or
intending to land at nearby LaGuardia Airport felled the original main tower
(during the weekend preceding what was to be the debut of WCBS's Newsadio 88
format).

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205, eFax 707-215-6367