Re: listening trends....

Joe: Good point.  Barry was engaging in hyperbole.  He point about narrow
playlists, however is legitimate.  Lots of stations play only 300 to 400
songs.

24 minutes of commercials an hour?  Maybe in beloved good old days, but I
have heard that today.  I have been told by old timers (people like Jibguy)
that in the golden days on top 40 radio the stations played lots of
commercials, often stopping down between every song or every other song.
Most stations today appear to play no more than 12 to 15 minutes of
commercials per hour.  A legitimate complaint can be made to the length of
stopsets, but I do not think it is true that more time overall is being used
for commercials.  I may be wrong.  Does anyone have stats to show otherwise?

I know the company that all of the stations in the building where I work
have rules about the numbers of spots per hour that are strictly followed.
The number of units allowed per hour are not increased during the Christmas
season, which was the case at locally owned stations that I worked at in the
past.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine