RE: Night Time BCB Skywave/Ground Wave Cancellation/Interaction

I have experienced phasing in WBZ's signal while driving
at night in Sudbury MA. Sudbury can't be much more than
30 miles from Hull.

A hotly debated subject among more technically inclined
AM geeks (such as me) is the effect of transmitting-
antenna height. It's well known that the maximum
efficiency for standard (non-sectionalized) vertical
radiators is achieved with a radiator of 225 degrees
(5/8 wavelength). A 5/8-wave radiator produces an
inverse-distance field at 1 km of about 440 mV/m/kW.

However, radiators taller than 180 degrees exhibit a
high-angle lobe in their vertical radiation pattern that
becomes increasingly pronounced as the radiator height
is increased from 180 degrees to 225. As the strength of
this lobe increases, phasing between the groundwave and
the reflected skywave becomes more pronounced, limiting
the station's groundwave service area--especially during
the period now known as critical hours (local sunrise to
two hours after and two hours before local sunset until
sunset).

For this reason, it was once fashionable NOT to build AM
antennas much taller than 180 degrees, even though the
groundwave efficiency of a 180-degree tower is only
about 380 mV/m/kW @ 1km. In other words, station owners
were willing to accept the equivalent of a roughly 25%
reduction in power (that is, (380/440)^2) to reduce
phasing at the fringes of the coverage area during
critical hours. This was in fact the case in 1939 when
the WBZ towers in Hull were constructed. WBZ was then on
990 and the towers are I believe, just 180 degrees at
990 (or 187.3 degrees at 1030).

More recently, though, consulting engineers have become
more venturesome. Not many tall AM towers are being
built these days, but of the few that have been built
within the past 20 years or so, the most popular heights
seem to be between 200 and 210 degrees. At such heights,
the theoretical inverse-distance field is just shy of
400 mV/m/kW @1 km.

I've been assured by several consultants that the effect
of the ground system on all this is rather minimal. For
example, a ground system consisting of 240 0.4-
wavelength radials increases the inverse-distance field
very little compared with a more standard ground system,
which consists of 120 0.25-wavelength radials.
Nevertheless, in the very limited area in which such
things are possible, salt-water grounds are still much
sought after. WBZ must have a salt water gound. I think
WJDA does. (And what a signal the station has!) And
according to the FCC AM database, WFAN/WCBS do.

I've always maintained that a salt water ground improves
skywave as well as groundwave propagation. It's hard to
imagine what vertical radiation patterns would look like
if this were not so. At some low angle, there would be a
discontinity in the vertical pattern of a station with a
salt water ground. Very little in nature behaves that
way.

I've used the supposed salutary effect of salt water on
skywave propagation to explain the fact that, before the
breakdown of the clear channels, WBZ was heard regularly
at night on Florida's east coast. Others have offered a
different explanation, however--that salt water is such
a good reflector of medium-wave signals that impinge at
less than the critical angle that WBZ's signal was
reaching Florida on the second hop. That is, the signal
touched down on the water half way between Hull and,
say, Jacksonville.

I have the feeling that these issues will never be
resolved but will just be fodder for threads like this
one until all of us geeks die off.