RE: WEVD sale

--- Sptseditor@aol.com wrote:

> I am sure one of the other things which is driving this
>  is the fact that the Yankees are breaking away from
>  Madison Square Garden (MSG) Network and forming their
>  own cable channel. (At least they won't get shoved
>  onto the Metro channel which everyone seems to
>  complain about for the occasional game.) For those who
>  didn't hear, YankeesNets (also owners of the Devils)
>  recently opted out of their contract with MSG to start
>  their own TV network, a la NESN. MSG also owns the
>  Yankees' radio rights, which I presume were tied into
>  this deal. If such were the case, it would mean the
>  Yankee radio rights would be up for grabs for the
>  first time in quite a while. Steinbrenner and Company
>  surely don't care about signal problems, etc.; they're
>  going to the highest bidder

Sean :

Yes, this is the last year MSG Radio Network deal with WABC-AM.
I am not sure if the radio package was tied to last week's
$30 million settlement with Chuck Dolan to get
out of their TV deal with MSG. Yankees were on MSG for the past
13 seasons...

One thing is certain, if Steinbrenner and IMG are able to launch
their new regional net by next April, all Yankees games will be
going off free TV(with an exception a few Saturday afternoon
Fox national telecasts) for the first time in their history.

With Dolan controling some many local systems from Brooklyn to
LI, Cablevision could still end up in the picture as a minority partner
in the new network or keep the games on MSG by leasing out time
to the Yankees who'll produce all the games...