Re: Carroll O'Connor and John Lee Hooker pass on

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Bob Nelson...WMWM wrote:

> Also, blues DJs (like myself) mourn the passing of
> a true musical legend; the king of the boogie, John
> Lee Hooker. Was able to interview John Lee about 7
> years ago thanks to "a friend of a friend"-- he was a
> true gentleman and great talent who influenced many.
> In recent years he did duets with the likes of
> Van Morrison, Bonnie Raitt, and B.B. King. Expect
> more than a few tributes to him on blues radio shows
> this weekend.

The single most amazing thing I ever thought about Hooker was how in
interviews, he had such a thick accent, mumbled a lot, and while you could
understand what he was saying sometimes you really had to listen hard. But
as soon as the music started, that man had such a perfect blues voice. He
was one of the country's blues pioneers, along with Muddy Waters, Robert
Johnson, Howlin' Wolf, Willie Dixon, Sonny Boy Williamson, etc and was
such an incredible influence on modern rock n roll, especially in the
70's, from Zeppelin to the doors to Thurogood to Clapton.

I was amazed at the remake he did of "Boogie Chillun'" a couple of years
back with....I beleive it weas Eric Clapton (but I may be wrong). While
his voice had aged somewhat, that man could belt out the blues.

Let that boy boogie......

Jeremy Mixer
WKIT