Re: Class

> as Bill O. and Roger both mentioned, coverage of this
> extremely unique event was varied.
> i took note that, at 8:01am, ABC ran a full photo&name
> scroll of the victims of the Oklahoma tragedy, with
> only the sound of running water and quietly chirping
> birds underneath with no extraneous narrative.
> not to not Fox, nor the other networks who all similarly
> "followed" suit, but the GMA feed had them beat, from
> what my strained, remote-pushing wrist could see.
> some of the other networks did variations, with comments
> and thoughts from survivors or loved ones interspersed.
>
> - -Chuck Igo

As an epilogue - Call it a "premature sendification situation" since I
was able to witness a pretty neat CBS montage of music, list with
interspersed photo frames of the lost lives.  (I shame myself and my
whole family with this question, but here it goes anyway):  Did was it
me, or did Katie Couric intentially "hair down" for the somber
occasion? She did a classy job this morning.  As a veteran of many
Irish wakes ("O'Neills" can say that) she wasn't acting.  The
calvacade of losers from the press pool who witnessed the death were
falling all over themselves to get national mic time.  A WLS (890
Chicago) reporter seemed totally out of place.  A cable news reporter
rambled on about ever minor detail of the process.  Look, it _that_
why they were there? Really?  During Imus, he asked Lou to pot-up the
press conf. audio and the first question out of the box
(mid-conference) is "How did YOU feel witnessing ...."  Imus adroitly
interrupts and begs to kill the audio.  Thousands of direct relatives
mourning, a nation of awkward feelings and the reporter genuinely
thinks it's important what ANOTHER member of the 4th Estate "FELT?"

File under: There IS life outside of the media clubhouse; go explore
it, already.

Bill O'Neill