Re: Red Sox Spanish Play By Play

In a message dated Mon, 28 May 2001  9:15:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Dan Strassberg" <Dan.Strassberg@att.net> writes:

<< I don't know what's going on, but I believe that SS programming on WBNW
would be a first. As far as I know, both as WADN and WBNW, 1120 has never
broadcast in any language except English. Are you sure you didn't have WPMZ
or whatever the calls are at the 1120 in Bristol CT? That's SS all the time. >>

IIRC, the deal to put the Sox full-time in Spanish this year came a little bit late in the game, so to speak, and WRCA has some popular Caribbean programming on Saturdays. Thus, the games went to the station which had some available air time: 1120. The funny thing is that there aren't many Hispanic areas which are well-served by 1120's signal, except Lowell and Framingham. Try picking up 1120 in Dorchester, Somerville, or Roxbury on a normal radio and you're likely SOL.

I am surprised one of the Mega stations wouldn't want to be home to the Sox. They could offer a full-time home for the games in Spanish and attract some current listeners to the games. Would beisbol be that much of a disruption to their program lineup?

-Sean