Re: First time on the air

I remember many women who did women's programs on local
stations (talk hosts such as Mary Margaret McBride and
Dorothy Kilgallen in New York and their Boston
counterparts, of whom Louise Morgan was one) and women
actors on soap operas and other dramatic programs
(remember Jane Ace who appeared with her husband Goodman
on easy Aces?), but I can recall only one woman who
hosted a record show in the 40s and early 50s. That was
Rosalie Allen, who did a country-and-western show (the
Big Apple's only such program at the time) on the old
WOV New York (1280--now WADO). WOV broadcast in Italian
during the day and in English from about 6:00 PM into
the early morning. The station's slogan was WOV--Fills
your nights with music. The other personality on WOV at
night was William B Williams, who did a very hip jazz
show.

Although the station's owner, Arde Bulova, was
apparently continually in and out of trouble with the
FCC, WOV was a pioneer in equal employment opportunity
on the air, since it had both female and Afrcian-
American DJs.

The next time I can recall a woman playing a major role
on the air at a pop-music station was here in Boston
during 1090s first incarnation as WILD (CA 1957), when
the station was owned by Bartell Family Media and ran a
very tight, albeit short-lived, top-40 format. The woman
or women did not spin the records, but they voiced the
weather, maybe the news--I can't recall, and most of the
bumpers and positioners. It was definitely novel to hear
female voices on such a station.

In fact, as I recall, the only voice heard on WILD's
famous teaser the weekend before the top-40 format
debuted was female. Aside from the use of a female
voice, the teaser is famous (OK _was_ famous--I may now
be the only living person who remembers it) because it
ran on WBZ, WEEI, and all of the major signals in the
market. It could do so because--until WILD signed on--
nobody outside of WILD and its ad agency knew that the
commercial promoted another radio station. Nobody knew
_what_ the commercial was promoting.

The copy was read by a _very_ sultry female voice that
whispered "Everybody in _old_ Boston is going
wildwildwildwild (fade)." Today, it would be duck soup
use a DAW to create the effect of the words running
together with no pauses, but back then it had to be done
by carefully snipping the pauses from the tape and
splicing the words back together without pauses.

I find it hard to believe that technology had anything
at all to do with women having had to wait so long to
get the break they deserved as voices in mainstream
local programming, but I will say this: In a succession
of cars and car radios that my family owned from the
time I was a little kid in the early 40s until I moved
away and went to college in the early 50s, I found
women's voices to be consistently unintelligible or
nearly so over the road and wind noise. I had no similar
problems with male voices. Over the years, my high-
frequency hearing has deteriorated somewhat, but I don't
have a problem understanding women's voices on modern
car radios. And to keep it an apples-to-apples
comparison, I'm talking about listening to AM then and
AM now. So I have to believe that there was something
different either with the road and wind noise, the audio
processing, the car radios, or some combination. And
whatever it was, it interfered with the intelligibility
of female voices.