From: Dan Strassberg [mailto:Dan.Strassberg@att.net]
Subject: Re: WGSR (Was: 89.3 pirate goes ID-crazy)

Ron:

As for those who claim that XERF never ran 250 kW, that may be so, but the
station _did_ run a lot more than 50 kW at night back in the late '50s. Back
then, I could pick up XERF on my Zenith tube-type AM-FM table radio in the
apartment where I then lived near Inman Sq in Cambridge. That was before
CKLM first went on the air. Although CKLM has been gone lo these many years,
I have not heard hide nor hair of XERF since CKLM's demise--even using a
Super Radio III, which is probably about equal in sensitivity to the old
Zenith. From that I gather that, if XERF is currently running 50 kW at
night, it was running WAY more in the late 50s. Also in November 1962
(election night, actually), I listened to XERF coming in like a local at
night in my room at the Cherry Creek Inn just south of Denver. The signal
sounded to me much stronger than that which would have been produced by a 50
kW ND signal from a half-wave antenna. I say that because KOMA was also
booming in, but KOMA is directional at night and is hundreds of miles closer
to Denver than Ciudad Acuna is but is still far enough from Denver to
deliver the full effect of skip. KOMA's signal that night, though excellent,
wasn't nearly as strong as XERF's.
--

Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net
Phone: 1-617-558-4205, eFax: 1-707-215-6367

-