Re: WGSR (Was: 89.3 pirate goes ID-crazy)

On 5 May 2001,  Dan Strassberg wrote:

> It means using the radio's built-in antenna, rather than some other
> antenna--or for that matter rather than an antenna booster, such as the
> Select-A-Tenna capacitively tuned passive loop, which couples to the radio's
> built-in antenna. My guess is that some DXer wisely chose barefoot rather
> than naked. I think that, in searching for a single short adjective to
> characterize an unaugmented radio, most people would have arrived at naked,
> but that would have raised more eyebrows and would have caused more DX
> newsgroups to be filtered out by "decency" software. And to think that the
> adjective was probably chosen decades before political correctness became de
> rigeur!

Funny, in astronomy, we refer to the "naked eye," and I haven't heard of
any problems with any filtering software.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                        617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                     lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503      http://world.std.com/~lawyer/