Re: Station Tower lighting

<<On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 15:56:39 -0400, "Dan C." <dwcole@mediaone.net> said:

> Another of my former stations, WTSN in Dover, stopped lighting its
> towers because it was determined they were not in any flight path
> and were not high enough to matter.  Anything to save a buck.

I have to believe that the principal cost arising from tower
illumination is not the electricity, but rather the maintenance of the
bulbs -- particularly for stations whose towers are always hot.
(Presumably when WBZ needs to replace a light bulb in Hull they have
to switch to the Allston backup, then send a rigger up the tower with
a new bulb -- which is not only costly in terms of time, but could
potentially impact revenue.)

-GAWollman