Re: probate

My understanding is that if a station becomes a "probate
asset," that is, if it is not held by a trust or does
not automatically pass into a trust on the death of the
owner, the executor/executrix of the owner's estate must
file with the FCC to transfer control to the estate.
This is an involuntary transfer. I don't know the FCC
form number.

The executor may then sell the property and distribute
the net proceeds to the legatees or distribute shares in
the ownership to the legatees named in the owner's will.
Either way. this creates another transfer.

An interesting case would occur if the owner named a
foreign national as the recipient of the property.
Unless the prohibition against foreign ownership of
radio and TV stations has been lifted, I don't think the
FCC would approve the transfer. The station would then
remain in the estate until the executor or the named
recipient of the property could transfer it to a
qualified buyer. The sale proceeds, net, of course, of
taxes and fees, presumably would then pass to the named
legatee. The estate is liable for the taxes and fees and
must sell probate property if the necessary cash is not
otherwise available.

If any of this is incorrect, I'm sure that one of the
attorneys on the list will correct me.