Re: Winstar files for bankruptcy

Paul Hopfgarten asked:

> Forgive me....but what does WKXL/-FM running ESPN overnight have to do
with
> Bush being President?

It's not a matter of what programming WKXL (1450 Concord NH/107.7
Hillsboro NH) is running overnight, it's the fact that WKXL has any
overnight programming.  Until this past week, WKXL has not been an
all-night operation.  Over the years there have been a few lengthy West
Coast ball games that gave the transmitters a very short rest before the

resumption of programming around 4:57:30 a.m. (or 5:30, before the
mid-1980s).  Even during WKXL-FM's hip years (1986-1991) as The Music
Zone (which I guess would be classified as a modern rock format), a
silent period was observed from at least 1 to 5 a.m.  The only time I
remember WKXL and WKXL-FM running continuous programming all through the

night was for a couple days in January of 1991 at the start of the
Persian Gulf War.  At that time, the last known time until this very
week that WKXL operated around the clock, the President of the United
States was...well, I don't want to give it away, but the initials were
G.B.  Coincidence? Right-wing conspiracy? Left-wing conspiracy?  Oh,
never
mind.  All is forgiven.