Re: WRKO Update

I was walking in Ipswich yesterday, listening to the
Red Sox game on my Walkman, and for a moment scanned
the dial. WBIX (1060) came in very well, leading me
to wonder: their signal really does a lot better
than you'd think, so why did they abandon talk (as
WMEX) so quickly for business talk? (Maybe the
salaries of the talk hosts proved to be too much in
relation to the ratings they were getting; if they
kept the talk format for awhile maybe the ratings
would eventually improve but the owner probably didn't
have "deep pockets" to do so...)

WBIX's owner probably figured business talk radio
would be a safer bet (though I think he may still
have some regular talk on the lineup). One other
option he could have done: pick up some syndicated
shows that are not on this market (Tom Leykis, for
one; and is Jim Bohannon still on the air?) though
maybe the CBS/ Infinity/ Westwood One forces in this
market wouldn't let him have shows like Leykis, etc.

Oh, speaking of WRKO morning hosts, on "Whad Ya Know"
yesterday (a comedy-quiz show on Public Radio
International; locally on WBUR), one of the
contestants was Mike Cuthbert, who used to co-host
the WRKO morning show (with Janet Jeghelian, I
think). These days Mike operates out of Washington,
DC, doing a show for senior citizens ("Prime Time",
I think) and a show for book lovers ("Book Guys").