Re: new FM allocations?

<<On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 23:20:23 EDT, Jibguy@aol.com said:

> The FCC has, for many years, not allowed any NEW daytime AM
> stations.  Getting a full-timer on the air would be very difficult.
> As far as daytimers go, a few could fit in, but the FCC says "no" to
> all of those.

But, as we have seen with Alex Langer, the FCC is perfectly willing to
make major changes to daytimers including moving stations a hundred
miles or more, changing frequency, parameters, and community of
license simultaneously -- as happened with WRPT.

It's not hard to imagine relocating some small class-D AM like the
1000 in Leominster or the 700 in Orange, in moving to to (say)
Salisbury or Rockport.  750 would seem an obvious choice of frequency,
but I don't know how much of a factor Leominster would be.  1180 could
have been a possibility, but I'm guessing that would be precluded by
the upgrade of 1200.  1470 might work on Cape Ann, perhaps even as a
full-timer, if directional away from Lewiston and Newburyport.  1590
might be a possibility in the Merrimack Valley, since Gorham is no
more, provided one could stay out of the way of WUNR.

-GAWollman