Re: Nail in streaming's coffin

<<On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:56:09 -0400 (EDT), umar@nerodia.wcrb.com said:

> Yes, but the principal goal of commercial radio programming is to get
> people to listen to the ads. If you can't stream the ads, streaming the
> rest of the programming is pointless, it would seem to me.

Not necessarily... A station can use its 'net feed as a way to build
``brand loyalty'' and thereby reinforce listenership during periods
where the listener has access to the OTA broadcast.  This is
particularly true, I would think, for rimshot FMs that don't penetrate
the office buildings in their market.  And, of course, if most of a
station's spot load is locally-produced (e.g., WLNG) and they don't
have unionized talent, then they don't have to concern themselves with
the AFTRA rules at all.

-GAWollman