Re: Nail in streaming's coffin

While streaming of over the air stations is a sort of novelty right now,
both over the air and internet only radio stations can serve audiences and
live together in harmony.

As someone who has been on the broadcast side of things, and now on the
streaming side, I think streaming stations, while servicing a worldwide
audience, can narrowcast better than any OTA station can.

Now...will narrowcasting be profitable?  The jury is still out (trust me!).
But, while over the air broadcasters reach the masses,
webcasting/narrowcasting can reach the masses with a more distinct, unique
form of programming that traditional broadcasters would never touch.
Admittedly, those masses initially are smaller in size than traditional over
the air broadcasters, such a hurdle we must overcome.

The internet is still in its infancy - and most of the "rules" are still
being written.  Webcasting has a long way to go before the "jury" (i.e. the
listening world) makes its decision on its fate.  I do belive that
webcasting/narrowcasting will have its place in the world, due to the fact
that the cost of the technology behind webcasting (such as connectivity)
continue to become less and less expensive, it just needs time to get
through some major growing pains.

Marc Lemay