Re: Nail in streaming's coffin

Richard Chadwick writes:
> I think the bigger question in this matter is - WHO's NEXT?  Between,
> ASCAP, BMI, RIAA and now AFTRA, any radio owner has got to be asking:
"Who
> wants a piece of the action next, and why am I still doing this???"
Ad
> Insertion holds the biggest promise, but who's going to voice those
spots????

What if a b'caster establishes a sister business that operates solely
under the mission of webcasting.  Content.  Lottery numbers. Oh, and...
audio....from its sister business that happens to be a union shop radio
station.  (Not that I am in favor of this, but....)  That way, the $2.75
per hour board op for company 1 (WXYZ) also works for Company 2
(Webcast-R-Us) and voices through the web window while the AFTRA voice
works the spot for Company 1for scale.  Not a new thing, especially when
you consider multi-station arrangementsthat have existed since the 80s
where two guys share the same coffee pot but one has a union card with
cash and the other boasts a card that entitles him/her to a free coffee
after the fourth from the local Mobil station.

Bill O'Neill (one coffee to go...)