Re: The Celtics play the Zone(Re: Sox games bump Celts to 'RKO)

In theory, 1510 should have no problems at the South
Postal Annex or in close-in North Shore communities.
Perhaps Paul Allen should invest a small part of his
billions to determine whether the signal is performing
as it should. For example has the ground system to the
east of the TX site been compromised? For sure, the
ground system to the north and west has been compromised
by construction at the site. But that is nothing new; it
happened within the first year or two after the site
went on the air in 1981.

I personally witnessed the destruction of a large number
of radials to the north of the west tower by a fellow
who was grooving the asphalt to make way for the conduit
that supplies power to the light standards that
illuminate the parking lot. I imagine that, at the time,
the landlord's severing of the wires would have provided
the station station with grounds for a suit (albeit no
grounds fo its antenna system);-) But WITS was in the
throes of bankruptcy by then and probably couldn't
afford the legal fees. Moreover, I suspect that nobody
at the station even knew what the landlord (actually
workers hired by the landlord) had done.

The night signal to the east, over an arc that includes
places such as Salem and Swampscott, is supposed to be
the equivalent of about 400 kW nondirectional into a
minimum efficiency tower (that is, one less than 1/3 the
height of the station's 198-degree towers). The signal
(almost 6 V/m unattenuated at 1 km) is supposed to be
enough to deliver a 50 mV/m signal along the Boston
waterfront. Aside from WBZ, no other AM station delivers
a signal that strong to that area.

As for the unbuilt CP, which would, if built, improve
the signal to the southwest, it's for noncritical hours
daytime operation (from two hours past sunrise to two
hours before sunset). In December, that doesn't even
cover the C's rare afternoon games. However, it would
make the station a real presence on the MetroWest AM
dial during the middle of the day, so listeners out
there would know of the station. It's safe to say that,
at present, few people who live in Metrowest even know
of the station's existence. The nighttime signal in
MetroWest is, and will continue to be nonexistent,
however. And the critical-hours day signal will never be
anything besides marginal at best.