Re: Nomo coverage

<<On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 13:17:24 -0400, "Mountain Wireless" <mountainwireless@skow.net> said:

> question, which in turn had to go through the interpreter to Nomo.

Based on the Japanese I have met, I suspect that both Ohka-san and
Nomo-san can probably understand English fairly well (particularly in
written form), but are very uncomfortable trying to speak it.  English
has a number of important consonant sounds which are very difficult
for native Japanese speakers to utter, and this makes many of them
rather self-conscious, leaving aside the vast structural gulf.

(I wonder what level of formality is used among Japanese baseball
players....)

-GAWollman