Re: Expos need miracle to air in English

At 8:10 AM -0500 3/27/01, Mike Thomas wrote:

>Lumping the entire island as a market is not unprecedented.  Look at "Long
>Island."  It's about one hundred miles wide.  Only a few stations,
>such as WALK,
>WBLI and some of the big New York AM's, penetrate the entire metro with a
>listenable signal.

Actually, where I was raised in SW Nassau County, neither WALK nor
WBLI had a signal that anyone would listen to.  About the only LI
signals that got significant listnership in this area (I moved out in
the late 70's, so this info may not be current) were WHLI and WGBB.
Even WBAB was not a factor in this area.  At that time, the FM's
associated with the local stations were only starting to go separate
from the AM's, but still I think it's true that there are no FM
stations that cover most of the LI market, and in most people's minds
Suffolk Cty is a separate area from Nassau Cty, even if it's not
official to the ratings people.
--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH