Re: Jim Baker, WEEI, and AM 1510

In a message dated Tue, 27 Mar 2001  3:19:09 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Bob Nelson...WMWM" <bobonradio@yahoo.com> writes:

<< if so maybe WEEI would find a new partner for
Dale Arnold (or, if his contract is about to end,
replace him with syndie programming from ESPN or
something; though I'd suspect they'd want to keep
Arnold there in some capacity). >>

I wouldn't be surprised if Arnold was dumped under such a scenario. Supposedly, he's making around $250,000 and Entercom has been pinching pennies everywhere. Reportedly, Andleman had his salary cut from $600,000 to $300,000 a few years back when his contract came up for renewal in recent years, so I imagine he'll be trying to make up some lost coin (even though he's done well financially outside of broadcasting) by going back to afternoon drive.

Personally, I think Andleman is no where near as good as he was 10, 15 years ago. Couple that with the changes we've seen in the industry in recent years, and if he moved to 1510, I think it would spell disaster and the end of his career.

If Arnold were to be shuffled out, I would say that 850 should take a shot with Tony Kornheiser's midday show from ESPN Radio. Anyone who has had a chance to read his work in the Washington Post and New York Daily News knows the guy is a talented writer...his midday show is just as diverse and tops any of the Boston sports shows.

-Sean