Re: Senior Demographic Ad Report

Of course. Send us the message that we don't count, and
the prophecy becomes self fulfilling. Sooner or later
the message will get through to the clowns on Madison
Ave (and the advertisers behind them) that if you
alienate or simply ignore the most affluent part of the
population, you will turn off an important part of your
potential customer base.

I have never heard anything besides anecdotal evidence
to support the thesis that people over 55 tune out
advertising. Maybe now that more and more boomers every
day turn 55, the advertisers and agencies will finally
get the message that traditional approaches to
advertising and demographics don't work. I'm 65--a
depression baby. My generation was simply not numerous
enough for the advertisers to consider us important. But
the boomers are much more numerous.

And before Bob Bittner chimes in with his rather stale
message about advertisers not selling products but
selling credit, let me assert that I think that argument
is largely bunk. (I'd use a longer word that begins with
the same two letters, but this is a family mailing
list.) Yes, car dealers are selling credit, not cars,
but most merchants rely on credit-card sales. The
merchants don't make money from the credit aspects of
those sales; the banks that issue the credit cards do.
And the banks don't advertise the credit-card side of
their business on radio (at least not very much).