Re: Fwd: Re: Expanded band query...?

On 1 Mar 2001,  dan.strassberg@att.net wrote:

> Believe me, I was _there_, being moved to a channel
> above 1500 was _not_ like winning the lottery! I did
> forget something when I wrote my summary of the
> extensions of the AM band: In 1936, the FCC established
> three so-called experimental high-fidelity channels
> 1530, 1550, and 1570. So by March 1941 and NARBA, there
> were _some_ radios that could tune past 1500, but not
> many.

My 1930s-vintage radio has numbers up to 160.  Beyond that, it says
"police."  I think there must have been more radios around that could tune
that high because many of them went up to 1700 for police calls.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                        617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                     lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503      http://world.std.com/~lawyer/