Re: Fwd: Re: Expanded band query...?

Believe me, I was _there_, being moved to a channel
above 1500 was _not_ like winning the lottery! I did
forget something when I wrote my summary of the
extensions of the AM band: In 1936, the FCC established
three so-called experimental high-fidelity channels
1530, 1550, and 1570. So by March 1941 and NARBA, there
were _some_ radios that could tune past 1500, but not
many. Remember, this was the Depression. People were NOT
making unnecessary purchases. So owning a radio station
that was reassigned to a frequency above 1500--even if
you were granted significantly improved facilities--was
not calculated to put money in your pocket for quite a
few years. And just eight months and seven days after
NARBA, the US was at war. Consumer items, such as
radios, were difficult or impossible to obtain. It
wasn't until after the end of the War that large numbers
of radios that could tune past 1500 became available.

WWRL in New York was an interesting case. The station
ran 250W from a studio/TX site in the residential
neighborhood of Woodside Queens, part of New York City
and an area with notoriously bad soil conductivity. WWRL
did not get out very far. Prior to NARBA, the station
was a Class IV on 1500, which was the pre-NARBA 1490,
and perhaps the only channel whose stations were moved
en-masse to a lower frequency. Before NARBA, WWRL shared
time with two other stations in the New York area. Don't
ask me which; I don't know. NARBA made WWRL into a full-
timer, albeit still with 250W (one of a small number of
Class IVs on Class III channels) but placed it up at
1600, a frequency that even those radios that could tune
the high-fidelity channels could not receive.

It was quite a few years later--quite a few years after
the War--that WWRL moved its TX to the Jersey
Meadowlands, increased to 5 kW-U DA-2, and became a full-
fledged Class III. By then WVOM, the predecessor of
WUNR, was either on the air or under construction and
WWRL had to protect WUNR. The result was a directional
pattern that could not cover the Bronx or northern
Manhattan very well at night, but the signal was still a
lot better than 250W from Woodside.

As for ex-band stations with less than 1 kW at night,
yes there is at least one--in the LA area. Turns out
(and I did not know this until a week or so ago), the
limitation on ex-band night power is more rigorous than
just 1 kW; it's the lesser of 1 kW or the power that
produces a groundwave signal equivalent to that which
would be produced by putting 1 kW into a 90-degree
antenna. The LA-area station (on 1650) is diplexed with
a station that uses tall towers. The 1650 station is
thus limited to something like 539W at night.

There is no such corresponding limitation on ex-band day
power. So, unless it uses a shorter tower at night, an
ex-band station that builds itself an optimum-height
(200-degree) antenna to maximize daytime coverage, will
be limited to about 500W at night. Even if the ex-band
station builds a 195' tower, the tallest that requires
no illumination, it has to run less than 1 kW at night.

As for WLAC protecting Boston, you've got that story
exactly right, but the situation wasn't unique. KIRO is
nulled to the south at night to protect the former KMPC.
In both cases, a Class IB had to protect a pre-existing
co-channel Class II. And on the same frequency, 710, WOR
is nulled to the northwest (as it was with its old
antenna system in Carteret) to protect CKVD. Curiuosly,
though, it didn't always work that way. KFAB was not
required to protect the pre-existing co-channel station
in Pasadena, CA, and indeed, KFAB made life miserable
for the Pasadena station for decades. That station (now
KSPN) completely rebuilt its antenna system three times
in futile attempts to protect KFAB. Only after the FCC
reduced the protection requirements was the CA station
able to arrive at a design that KFAB didn't protest.

And the technical/historical AM-radio trivia just keeps
on coming!