Re: Re: Subchannels. Text. Audio.

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Bob Nelson...WMWM wrote:
> Doesn't it also say name of song or artist, or maybe
> name of the program?

In the European Community, where this system is more advanced, yes, it
does give you the name of the station, program, song/artist.  Some car
radios also have a feature where the radio changes stations if there is a
traffic report in progress (so you can hear the traffic report).

> My VCR has a similar kind of system--when you tune
> to a station with the VCR, the name of the program
> shows up. It must be some sort of info that is beamed
> with the signal. Sometimes the info pops up when a
> bit of video is shown: let's say a TV newscast
> is showing a highlight from a NASCAR race. "NASCAR
> on FOX" appears printed on the screen.

The information on FM is sent over a subcarrier underneath the main signal
(similar to FM Stereo).  In the case of TV, I think the info is broadcast
between some of the lines that make up the picture - similar to
closed-captioning and (in Europe) Teletext.

--
Sven F. Weil
email: sven@chookus.com