Re: yesterday's LTAR; I'm on TV

I don't know whether it's still FCC practice to make
stations parties to proceedings that aim to determine
whether another station's application for improved
facilities will cause objectionable interference to one
or more other stations. There was however definitely a
time when this _was_ FCC practice. If the FCC named a
station as a party to such proceedings, I believe the
named station could opt out. This arrangement was
certainly designed to encourage the station that had
applied for improved facilities to pay off the named
stations. I think that such payoffs were against the FCC
rules that were in effect at the time, but it would
amaze me if such payoffs weren't the rule, rather than
the exception.