RE: An Audio Fidelity Question

Roger,

There is a significant physical size difference between an MP3 coded for
128, 160 or 192 and an MPEG-2 coded for "FM" quality.  But fidelity wise,
the difference shows up to me mostly on the listening device.  Headphones
and a "high fidelity" stereo system brings up certain perceptual artifacts,
some of which I believe is contributed by the MP3 player and the rest by the
coding format.  The CPU makes a difference too, in playback (faster is
better).  My work with PA equipment, typical mobile DJ stuff, won't let any
of my listeners guess as to the source, it isn't as high a quality as a
great stereo system.

I would love to do the same, and store my whole collection (some 4500
titles) on a hard drive and take it with me.  You would have to consider two
sound cards, if you want to do crossfades, and compatible playback software.
Right now, I use a laptop with BSI's Wavecart 3 to plug in effects, bullets,
and jingles that I feed to my mixer.  I record the wave files at 22k stereo
without MPEG compression, and have had some success using the Direct X
setting which allows for 8 or more simultaneous streams, so I can punch up
"carts" on top of each other.  With DJ equipment, there is no apparent
difference in the sound of the "carts" compared to the music on CD and
records (yes, I still use some of these, and that's primarily the reason I
want to go direct to hard disk instead of making more CDs out of these).

-Larry