Re: What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

The aviation band is from 108.0 MHZ to 136.975MHZ.  It is an AM
signal.  The low end of the band, 108.0 to 117.9 are used for navigation in
the form of ILS beacons (Instrument Landing System) or VOR beacons (VHF
OmniRange).  The upper end is used for voice transmission.

There is also a series of non-directional AM beacons called NDB's
(non-directional beacon) that are in the process of being phased out.They
operate between 200Khz and the bottom of the AM band.  An ADF receiver is
used in the aircraft.  Most of these tune from 200 to 1799Khz making it an
easy way to listen to the AM radio band while flying.  When flying over
Burlington with my ADF set to 680, I couldn't figure out if the propeller
or ADF needle was spinning faster...

I hope that the FAA isn't listening ;-)

Brian

At 04:54 PM 1/2/2001 -0500, Sven Franklyn Weil wrote:
>On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Bill O'Neill wrote:
> > MSNBC TV is reporting that the 10,600 freqs. for air traffic control
> > is simply not enough.  Growing by 500 per year.  Worried that
> > handshakes of freqs. in flight (around 50 per flight) are becoming
> > more cumbersome.  Another reason for flight delays?  What bands are
> > used by aircraft now?  What's the problem with just opening up a whole
> > bunch of new allocations?  (I'm flying blind on this one.)
>
>I thought the airplane band was 108MHz and above in the VHF band?  Do
>airplane radios modulate in AM or FM?
>
>Then you also have beacons broadcasting in AM on part of the LW band.
>
>--
>Sven F. Weil
>email: sven@chookus.com
>WWW homepage:  http://home.gordsven.com/gordsven/sven
>RadioLand Site:  http://home.gordsven.com/gordsven/sven/radiomuseum.html

Brian T. Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.
75 Walnut St. - Suite 4
Peabody, MA  01960-5626
+1-978-538-7575 Business Office/+1-978-538-7550 Business Fax
(800)231-8849 US & Canada Sales/(800)329-2775 US & Canada Fax
*****Visit us on the web at "www.cssinc.com"*****