Re: Today's LTAR

<<On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 08:10:45 EST, Jibguy@aol.com said:

> I suppose I should have mentioned, "under non-extreme conditions".  Winds
> under 90 MPH most often take out guyed towers.   OVER 90 MPH, anything
> goes....

I spent the Christmas holiday in North Carolina, and of course did
some tower-hunting while there.  The WEQR(FM) tower, which is attached
to the studio building in Goldsboro, N.C. (prime hurricane territory)
is quite literally bent, through about a five degree arc halfway up
the tower.  (And I have the video to prove it.)  At first I thought,
``no, this must be a backup'', but a check of my maps when I got home
showed it to be the active site.  (WEQR is a class-A on 102.3.  I also
picked up a license plate for ``102.3 the Double Q'' -- the station
simulcasts with WEQQ in Pinetops.)

-GAWollman