Re: Globe shrinks in size and now in Stature.

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001 00:57:25 -0500 "A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@world.std.com>
writes:
> On 31 Dec 2000,  Dave Faneuf wrote:
>
> > I can tell you the BBC put a spin on it that made us seem like gun
> > totting cowboys and these incidents are becoming common place.
> The BBC
> > World Service  interviewed me the night of the shooting and in the
> > introduction to my interview they ran down a list of shootings,
> the
> > presenter even called it "Going Postal".  I was surprised she used
> that
> > term.
>
> How sad that even the Beeb has lowered its once-impeccable standards
> of
> journalism.

I have always had great respect for the BBC, but you have to keep in mind
they are not an independent news network.  The BBC is to some extent (a
far greater extent than here in the U-S) controlled by their government.
IIRC the BBC was prevented by law from reporting on the IRA during the
worst of the fighting in Northern Ireland.

As for GW's (Garrett Wollman not George W) asking another poster to
refrain from talking about the gun issue, I believe he had read my
posting about the attitude of the BBC toward American's in their
reporting of the tragic shooting in Wakefield.  I for one believe his
posting was entirely appropriate for this list since it discussed the
coverage  a news organization gave to a local (at least for me) story.

Dave Faneuf  (Just waiting for the first coat of wax to dry at the
laundromat)