WCRN tower photo

<<On Mon, 1 Jan 2001 10:39:19 -0500 , "Strassberg, Dan  (Cahners)" <ednstrassberg@cahners.com> said:

> I just checked out the tower photos as the Boston Radio Archives and did not
> find a photo of the WCRN towers.

Nope.  I've been to the site twice, but did not transfer the photo I
took to PhotoCD.  (Perhaps this year I'll buy a digital camera....)

> $100,000 for an AM that runs 50 kW-D/5 kW-N as WCRN is doing (or soon wil
> be). That assumes that electricity costs $0.15/kWH and that the TX is a
> highly efficient unit (my guess is a little more than 80%).

Looking at the glossy for a Harris DX-50:

Power Consumption:	59 kW or less (typical) at 50 kW, 0% modulation,
			88 kW or less (typical) at 50 kW, 100% tone modulation

Power Factor:		0.98 typical

The PA runs on 480-V three-phase power; control electronics run on
240-V single-phase.

> kW-D/5 kW-N) and by $0.15/kWH.

According to Mass. Electric's tariffs, a 90-kW constant load receiving
standard service would pay about $45,000.  A time-dependent
(peak/off-peak) rate would probably cost less, and interruptible
service would cost even less than that.

-GAWollman