Re: voice-tracking is the symptom, but it's not the disease-- re send

On Sun, 24 Dec 2000 13:10:08 -0500 Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com>
writes:
> Ah yes, voice tracking.  [rant mode on] I must admit that I barely
> recognise the industry I went into, not that many years ago.
> Station
> owners buy up their competitors and eliminate any alternative
> programming.  We have one company that does the same contest on all
> of its
> stations simultaneously, except they don't quite tell the listeners
> in each
> city that the 800 number they are giving out means you are competing
> with
> millions of people in numerous markets who are all thinking the
> contest is
> just in their city.   We have a company that eliminates local d.j.'s
> and
> replaces them with voice-tracking from a city hundreds of miles
> away, even
> in prime dayparts.  We have many group owners that eliminate most
> news and
> public service for budgetary reasons, and make PDs program several
> stations
> simultaneously.

       <snip>

I couldn't agree with you more Donna  you put it very eloquently, the
only thing I think you may have gotten wrong was the CEO's salary and
bonuses $650k sounds very very low! If you don't mind and I will wait to
hear back from you, I'd like to forward your posting to the NPR show "Me
and Mario" (Alan Chartock and Mario Cuomo) and see what they do with it.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Kwanza and my favorite, Boxing Day  to
all

Dave Faneuf
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.