End of the FCC AM freeze--and the return of the _UNDEAD_

Too bad hallowe'en is over for this year; it would have
been the perfect date for the FCC to unthaw its latest
AM freeze. Despite the repeated pronouncements of the
death by AM by several on this list (you out there Steve
O and Mike T?), we are seeing an apparent resucitation
of the UNDEAD. The latest issue of the National Radio
Club's DX News lists many curious applications for new
AMs. (I didn't count 'em, but DXN said that the issue
listed several hundred and that the next couple of
issues will each list additional apps in roughly equal
numbers.) Few of these apps are likely to become CPs
and, given the prohibitive cost and Brobdignagian
environmental hurdles involved in securing TX sites--
even in rural areas--still fewer are likely to be built.

Many of the apps apparently fail to recognize the
existence of stations that could not co-exist with the
applied-for facilities. DXN pointed out the conflict
between WNNW and the app for 1120 10 kW-D/1-kW-N DA-N in
Salem NH, but failed to note the conflict of the same
app with WBNW. Actually, I think this app began life as
an unsuccessful filing to move what is now WNNW to
facilities that were ultimately granted to what is now
WBNW. Since WBNW (originally as WADN) has been on the
air for over 11 years and received its orignal CP at
least four years earlier, I think this is a case of an
app that should have been purged from the database over
a decade ago, but never was.

I've never known Bob Bittner to lose his fabled cool.
More than likely he won't lose it this time either, but
DXN lists an app for 720 1 kW-D/500W-N DA2 in Billerica.
This bizarre application, which at one time had actually
become a CP (the station was to beam northwest during
the day to protect WJIB and east at night to protect WGN-
-providing hardly any serive area that was common to the
day and night operations) was deleted over five years
ago. Forgetting the near impossibility of finding a site
for the five towers, this app is in conflict with Bob
Vinikoor's existing CP for a 50 kW-D/500W-N DA-2 station
in Hanover NH. That CP is itself hung up over
environmental impact.

Other impossible apps I noted include one in northern
Maine for a full-time station on 650. Given the number
of unbuilt 650 CPs in eastern Canada that are notified
to the US (which means that the FCC must treat the CPs
as if they have already been built even though none is
likely ever to be built), this one looks technically
unfeasible.

Another app that caught my eye is for an 840 station in
Modesto CA. There's a 10 kW-U station in Modesto that
has applied for and may hold a CP to increase to 50 kW-U
(35 kW-CH) DA-N from two sites.

Meanwhile, the latest M Street Journal shows a grant to
WKOX of a CP to move to the WUNR site on Saw Mill Brook
Pky in Newton and to change COL from Framingham to
Newton. WKOX proposes to share the five new 240' towers
with WRCA, which has applied to increase to 17 kW and
change COL to Watertown. Has anyone kept count of the TX
sites that WKOX has applied for or tried to apply for
for its proposed 50-kW-U operation? I can remember the
WNTN site for days coupled with the current Mt Wayte Ave
site for nights; the Unisys property on Route 117 in
Sudbury; the Dow Chemical site in Cochituate; and the
current site (again), this time full-time. The last of
these is the site for which a CP had actually been
granted. I suspect that I'm missing at least one
proposed site.

And speaking of Watertown, M Street Journal shows that
Alex Langer's application to change WSRO's COL from
Marlboro to Watertown and move the station's TX site
from Hudson to the WAMG site on Concord Ave in Lexington
has been accepted for filing. My earlier research showed
this app was for 1 kW-D/3.4 kW-N DA-2. M Street Journal
reported the day power as 1.4 kW. Either way, the day
signal would be directionalized to the northwest (away
from Boston) to protect first-adjacents WBET and perhaps
also WSAR.

A good use for this bizarre signal finally came to mind--
assuming he actually gets the CP, Langer should LMA or
sell the facility to Clear Channel, which could turn
WXKS (AM) into (in effect) a whole station. The 1470 day
signal would complement WXKS (AM)'s decent 5-kW ND day
signal, which starts to get a little fuzzy in Lexington.
The 1470 night signal would provide generally acceptable
coverage of Boston at night. WXKS's 1 kW DA-N signal is
directionalized to the east from a site east of the
city, and given the very high level of co-channel
interference on 1430, really covers only Everett, the
COL, at night. I wonder if the WXKF calls are available.