RE: Mobile Receiver - Sony or Alpine

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Michael P Fitzpatrick Jr. wrote:

> Really... that's funny. I own a Alpine radio and am very happy with both
> it's FM and AM reception. Its sensitivity and adjacent channel rejection is
> outstanding. OTOH, My parents have a Sony in their car which doesn't have as
> good of reception. I guess it all depends on WHICH model of radio you buy.

Also keep in mind that whatever car radio you buy must be aligned to the
aerial on your car.  There is a trimmer screw (actually part of the tuning
capacitor on analog-tuned radios) that you have to tune with either an
alignment tool or an insulated jewler's screwdriver.

According to  the instructions I've read (on the sides of these radios),
it says to tune the radio to a weak station around the 1300 to 1400 part
of the dial and adjust the screw for best reception.

This is probably a commonly overlooked procedure which I guess is the
biggest culprit for bad MW reception in cars.  And like others here say,
clean the antenna connections.

Good luck.

--
Sven F. Weil