Re: WOR stops Rambling with Gambling

My folks were married in 1927 and lived in New York City
from the start. I believe they said that they listened
to the _original_ John Gambling, John B, from the time
they were married, which would have been only two years
after his program started. My mother, who is now almost
101, may still remember John Gambling. I remember
listening to John B along with Vincent Sori and the
Gamboleers (an instrumental trio) and news with such
luminaries as Alois Havrilla every weekday morning for
about the first 15 years of my life.

I'll bet there's more to this story than has yet come to
light. A Buckley station killing a show that has
increased its billings 40% year over year in a quest for
younger demos--well, it just doesn't sound like Buckley.
I bet John R got a better offer. The fact that WOR
apparently hasn't yet firmed up its plans gives credence
to that speculation. Maybe they've lined up someone who
is currently employed to start Jan 1. If so, they might
not be able to identify the person. But consider how
WABC has struggled to find the right show for AM drive.
WOR will be hard pressed to do as well as it had been
doing, especially if Gambling shows up elsewhere on the
dial.

Let's see how this wild speculation plays out. Bloomberg
has announced that WBBR is about to go live (or maybe it
has done so already), after doing a hard-drive-automated
news format since its inception in 1993. Would John
Gambling make a good personality to anchor a news-
oriented morning drive chit-chat show on WBBR? Yes!
Would Bloomberg be willing to pay Gambling more than he
was getting at WOR? If WBBR feels it has a chance to get
something more than the minuscule ratings it has so far
has "enjoyed"--quite possibly. Shades of Martin Bloch
leaving the old WNEW (AM) first for WOR and then for
WABC. (He had to rename his program Martin Bloch's
Ballroom because WNEW owned the name Make-believe
Balleroom.)