Re: WOR stops Rambling with Gambling

Many who remember  listening to the Gambling show might not know that this
is the SON of the man who did the show at it's peak of popularity...and the
GRANDSON of the original host.

Many seem to believe that WOR relieved a 30 year veteran of the job of
Morning host....as you can see in this quote from the news story...

>>>A listener who identified himself only as Curt from Boonton, N.J., said,
''I've been listening to you for 32 years, when I was a kid with my
mom..."<<<

The above listener seems to think he's been doing the show for 32 years.

In recent years I have heard people say that The most recent John Gambling
(the 3rd one) wasn't really qualified for the job....or as talented as his
dad was.

In any event this is an illustration of no matter how well the 12+ numbers
look for a talk station, the "cash column" is really the 25-54 numbers where
WOR really lacks.  (Most of their audience is 55+!)

The same can be said for WRKO....while their 12+ #'s make them look
acceptable...their 25-54 #'s show that they are barely  sustantiating their
existance from an "asset" perspective.  (Howie Carr is their brightest bulb
on the 25-54 map....but even then they lack.)

With that said....what do we make of WMEX?

The station has programming that is of no use to most people under 55 (as a
matter of ratings)....and that most people 55+ don't even know about.  Mr.
Langer can be praised for his efforts...but he christened a station with an
older programming skew..

There IS a reason WRKO moved away from this kind of programming....it is of
little interest/value to advertisers of late.

Just my thoughts.....

DM